The MetalMapper is an advanced Time Domain EM (TEM) system that provides a large leap forward in the ability to discriminate between buried UXO items and other metallic objects. Developed under SERCP and ESCTP research projects this system uses a 3 component transmitter and seven tri-axial receivers to characterize each target. The high quality data that is acquired is then processed to produce a 3 axis polarizability curves that describe that characterize the buried object and can be used to calculate the size, depth and shape of a buried metallic object.
This information can then be used to discriminate between scrap metal and targets of interest (intact shells and fuzes). This ability to discriminate is highlighted in the Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) curve shown below, where the data from the MetalMapper was analyzed and identified all 170 targets of interest with only 30 false positives out of a total of 2200 potential targets. This is an order of magnitude improvement over currently used technologies.
In addition to the ability to discriminate between items of interest and scrap using data acquired while stationary over a target, the MetalMapper also provides advantages over currently used technologies in mapping mode. Because of its seven 3-component receivers and improved positioning electronics, it can provide more accurate locations for buried targets and current research is being performed to improve the ability to discriminate using data from the dynamic (mapping) mode. In the latest demonstration at Camp Butner, a 45% reduction in the number of targets investigated was achieved.
In a recent survey conducted under the direction of the Institute of Defense Analyses the MetalMapper was the top performer in a comparison against all other technologies for UXO discrimination. The MetalMapper represents the next generation of UXO classification instrument that can provide you the ability to eliminate a huge number of unnecessary intrusive digs and significantly reduce the time and money it takes to remediate a site contaminated with UXO. The MetalMapper is available in several configurations and is now available for rent for use in production UXO surveys. In the front loaded tractor configuration the MetalMapper was able to reacquire and collect static characterization data over 400 points in a single day. It can also be configured to operate in mapping mode so that a single instrument can be used for mapping and target discrimination/reacquisition.
- Advanced UXO detection and discrimination
- May be towed or front-mounted
- Complete 3-axis polarizability measurement, allowing for estimation of target depth, size, and shape
- Rugged, light-weight antenna cart suitable for man-portable or vehicular-towed operation
- 3 orthogonal high power transmitter loops permit precision static characterization from a single point
- 7 tri-axial dB/dt receiver cubes sample the vector secondary TEM field
- Wide dynamic range, high bandwidth A/D converters
- User-friendly acquisition software
- Optional platform attitude sensor measures platform magnetic heading, pitch, and roll.
- Windows-based acquisition software permits:
* Acquisition parameter selection
* On-site data QC
* Real-time data display and operator feed-back during acquisition
- Custom Geosoft Executables (GX) support importing data into Oasis montaj™ and automate many data processing procedures unique to MetalMapper.
- Physics-based analysis software
* Computes target position and attitude,
* Computes principal target polarizability transients (3)
* Provides convenient data base management of targets